[Simh] Imaging SCSI HD's

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sun Apr 21 20:52:31 EDT 2019

I love Mark's solution in the theory, but the systems I have that continue
to have solid SCSI support don't have a copy of simh, nor enough local disk
for the output.   What I have done in the past is something on the order of:

        dd if=/dev/RSCSI_DISK ibs=VERY_LARGE obs=4k conv=sync | ssh
remote_sys dd of=/tmp/vdisk.dsk ibs=4k obs=VERY_LARGE

The reason for the obs=4k is to keep the network block size under control.
 Depending on source and destination.   Blocking then becomes what is right
for the system (on something like a Vax or early x86 based bus maps, they
can only do 64K bytes of DMA at a time even if the host has more memory, so
even if you put a larger block, it's not clear you will get much more speed
up, and the OS how to clear our memory for the I/O, so it becomes a trade
off -- i.e. YMMV)

Now I have a/couple of different version(s) of dd I dug up/rewrote years
ago called ddd - double dd  (before gnu's Debugger existed BTW).  The
original ddd used to UNIX processes the swap back and forth controlled via
a pipe (you can find it in the UUNET archives I want to say around 1985),
but my newer versions used can use threads of some sort if the local UNIX
supports MxN user mode threading, or async I/O is that was supported as the
threading overlap tends to be more efficient in the kernel itself, but the
idea is the same - you want as much I/O overlapped as possible.   [I
originally did this to fully stream tape drives in the bad old days of a
10Mhz 68000 are the processor.  We ran:  dump -f - | ddd of=/dev/rmt0
ibs=20b obs=64k ].

ᐧ