[Simh] More VAX Simulators

Matt Burke matt at 9track.net
Sat Apr 20 03:56:12 EDT 2019

On 20/04/2019 01:13, Zane Healy wrote:
> Very exciting!  Especially the InfoServer support, and potentially very timely for what I am planning to do this weekend.  Does the InfoServer simulation support backing up a system disk on a VAX or Alpha to InfoServer tape?  Actually does it even support tape?
> https://www.itec.suny.edu/scsys/vms/ovmsdoc073/v73/6017/6017pro_051.html#info_ex
>
> Also, I assume I need to use the images found here?
> ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/openvms/freeware/infoserver/freeware_readme.txt
>
> Thanks,
> Zane

There is some preliminary support for SCSI tape but only basic reading
commands have been implemented so far. You could backup to an InfoServer
disk though. One other thing to take note of is that I've found the
LANCE Ethernet to be a bit slow compared to real hardware. This might be
because the operating system does not notify the controller when there
are new packets to be transmitted. Instead the controller has to check
for new packets on each poll interval. This can result in a delay up to
20mS between packets whereas on real hardware it's more like 2mS.

Yes, the images from the freeware are the ones you need. It's been a
while since I last did the installation but I seem to remember something
about devices having to be at specific SCSI IDs. I'll have to experiment.

Matt