[Simh] VCB02 Released

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Sun Apr 14 16:40:47 EDT 2019

Initial attempts to run this haven’t been great, but I think that’s largely due to how I’m trying to run it.

I have a “workstation” VM running under ESXI.  It’s running OpenSUSE 15, and I connect to it from my Mac via a copy of the commercial RealVNC client on my Mac.  If I don’t use ‘set qdss capture’ and set qdss enabled’ in my SIMH ini file for the VAXstation II, the VCB01 and VCB02 emulation appears to work just fine.  The VCB01 emulation for the MicroVAX 3900 is a mess (lots of the text is blacked out).  While the emulation appears to work fine, and the keyboard input is working, the mouse isn’t tracking right.  SIMH is running VAX/VMS 5.5 for these tests.

If I use ‘set qdss capture’ and set qdss enabled’, it doesn’t take any mouse input once the window has control of the mouse, and I can’t release the mouse.  I have to go in on another Linux session and kill the microvax2 process.

Next up, attempt to run this on a laptop running Ubuntu, though it will likely be a while before I can attempt that.  My guess is that the interaction with VNC is giving me problems.

Zane