[Simh] EXT :Re: winpcap problem

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Thu Apr 11 12:02:16 EDT 2019

On Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 8:48 AM, gérard Calliet wrote:
> Le 11/04/2019 à 17:21, Mark Pizzolato a écrit :
> > Everything Dave said is true, AND part of the issue may be a need to
> > configure some details about the new NIC you've just installed.
> > Specifically, you say it is a server NIC and may include specific awareness of
> > (and need configurationdetails for) VLANs.   Configuring this is likely also
> > necessary to get an IP address on the interface.
>
> The NICs were ip-configured for the window host.

And you confirmed that you could actually communicate through
those NICs to other hosts on the VLAN they were connected to?

> > Once useful LAN packets can be transmitted and received by the host
> > OS, that interface can be used by simh via WinPcap Or Npcap.
>
> So I can try Npcap? I'll do that.

Simh should work with Npcap in either WinPcap compatible mode or
otherwise.

> > Once you know the host can use the interface.
> >
> > Aside from this, on Windows, there is absolutely no need for simh
> > simulators to have dedicated network interfaces.  The host system's
> > primary interface can readily be used by simh to communicate both with
> > other external systems AND directly with the host system (via IP).
>
> Yes but the windows host system has to be in a vlan, and the emulated VAXen
> on another. And I cannot share between 2 VAXen the same NIC because I use
> Decnet and Decnet pushes a Decnet specific Mac address on the NIC.

As I said, on Windows multiple VAXen running DECnet CAN share the
same NIC as long as they are configured with different DECnet addresses.

This may require that the host NIC be configured with the correct VLAN
tag or possibly configured as untagged with the switch port that it is wired
to setup with the appropriate VLAN as the untagged VLAN for that port.

- Mark