[Simh] VAX 8200/8250

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Sat Apr 6 20:28:22 EDT 2019

The 8200 (V11) doesn't have a console processor; the console is
implemented in microcode (as in the F11/J11) and some macrocode (as in
MicroVAX II). That's one of the reasons the V11's microstore was 15KW,
plus a 1 KW patch store, and MicroVAX II's was 1.6KW, with no patch
store. (The other drivers of V11 microword consumption were the string,
decimal, and soft floating instructions.) V11 and MicroVAX II have
essentially identical microwords, although the capabilities of the main
data path differ slightly, particularly around shifting.

I did not work on the V11 microcode directly. Close to release, when it
was clear that the patch store would be half empty, I developed a patch
to optimize CALL/RET using techniques lifted from the 8800 (Nautilus)
microcode; these were also included in CVAX. I don't have a listing of
the V11 microcode.

/Bob