[Simh] Help with loading vax82b zip file into simh/vms

Clem cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Apr 5 19:07:34 EDT 2019

Phil,

The terms originated in the IBM 360 “principles of operation” book which I have here for the model 67.     To wit: “instructions operate on units called halfword (2 bytes), fullword(4 bytes), doubleword (8 bytes), quad word (16 bytes).      FWIW The IBM ‘storage block’ was 2048 bytes which was different from what DEC and much of the rest of the world used.  Also the 67 used a 2 block (4096) byte page size.

Also, my friend Russ Robelen (360/50 hw lead) says we can credit the 8 bit byte to Fred Brooks.  According to Russ, Amdahl wanted a 6 bit byte (like Cray was using at CDC) but Brooks kept throwing out of  his office and told him not to come back until ‘everything was a power of 2.’   Supposedly Amdahl thought it was a waste of HW but Brooks told him unless it was a power of 2 he couldn’t program it.  Amdahl did get a 24 bit address size but Brooks made him store it in a ‘full word’ which Gordon Bell later has been said to have been what saved the 360 architecture.

Clem

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.