[Simh] Help with loading vax82b zip file into simh/vms

Phil Budne phil at ultimate.com
Fri Apr 5 18:33:50 EDT 2019

Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
> In DEC terminology those are words.
> It goes: byte, word, longword, quadword, octaword. (8, 16, 32, 64, 128
> bits.)
> Halfword is something that I first saw on Motorola 68K, but maybe it's
> been used elsewhere as well. But it feels wrong to use that terminology
> on DEC systems.

Well, in the DEC VAX world!

I came from the DEC world of 36 bit words, and 18 bit halfwords.

I was a member of of the SAFE project, a 64-bit VAX datatype
compatible RISC machine led by Alan Kotok (the KA10 designer).
Instructions were named by how many bits they operated on.  When
Cutler absconded with the project and renamed it PRISM, they replaced
8/16/32/64 with B/W/L/Q.

Morons.

Phil