[Simh] Simulated PDP-7 Unix V0?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Sep 5 11:18:50 EDT 2018

> On Sep 5, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>
> below...
>
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 7:36 AM Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:
> On 9/5/18 4:24 AM, Al Kossow wrote:
> >

> > So the newer UNIXes are in the clear.  I doubt anyone actually cares about
> > version 0 either, but technically it's still under copyright.
>
> http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise17.html
>
> I don't think that is true since it predates the 1976 removal of the requirement
> for computer programs having to be registered with the Copyright office, and
> we know Unix didn't even have WE copyrights on the code until much later.
>
> Anything he created as replacements are, though.
>
> Hopefully, those are appropriately licensed.
>
> Anything before and including V7 is covered by the Ancient UNIX license.

Note that copyright and license are two separate topics.

A license is a grant of permission to do specific things with an item of property (such as a copyrighted work).

If Unix V0 is in the public domain for the reasons Al mentioned (published without copyright notice prior to 1 Jan 1978) then you can do with it what you want, and the license is not relevant (since it isn't anyone's property).  If that code is *not* in the public domain for some reason, then a license from its owners would come into play.

	paul