[Simh] Simulated PDP-7 Unix V0?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Sep 5 10:38:18 EDT 2018

below...

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 7:36 AM Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:

> On 9/5/18 4:24 AM, Al Kossow wrote:
> >

> > So the newer UNIXes are in the clear.  I doubt anyone actually cares
> about
> > version 0 either, but technically it's still under copyright.
>
> http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise17.html
>
> I don't think that is true since it predates the 1976 removal of the
> requirement
> for computer programs having to be registered with the Copyright office,
> and
> we know Unix didn't even have WE copyrights on the code until much later.
>
> Anything he created as replacements are, though.
>
> Hopefully, those are appropriately licensed.

Anything before and including V7 is covered by the Ancient UNIX license.
At one time you needed to get you own and a number fo us have them, but at
one point Novell (the eventual legal owner of the IP and the copyrights)
removed that restriction and the original code is availble (although it
should be attributed).     I probably can dig up all this from email et
al.. If Warren does not have a section "Front and Center" on TUHS web site,
I'll work with him. The PWB world (PWB 1.0- SRV4) was ittle different BTW.
 PWB 1.0 and 2.0 kernals were based on V6 and V7 and AT&T (before Novell)
has agreed that they were covered under the original Ancient license.
PWB 3.0 aka System III and later were released as part of the IBM/Linux law
suite when it was discovered that Novell owned the IP rights.

One more thing, which is off topic for simh, which I'll add before some
gets all worked up (and again, take it off list), the intellectual property
(IP) and the code itself are different.   AT&T owned the IP, which was
described in the code, which had a copyright.   They published *the IP in
the open literature*.   In the AT&T vs. UCB/BSDi cash the courts were clear
-- AT&T owned the IP but ... they could not claim trade secret on it
because they published it (the case was a trade secret case not a copyright
case).  The different code bases (the implementations) are covered by the
licenses associated with their copyrights, but are under the rules of IP
ownership.   This is true for all UNIX implementations, including the
UNIX-like/work alikes from Idris, Coherent, Sol, UNIX.  Thus the provenance
of the code itself is only interesting as to which copyrights it covered.
The courts were clear: the UNIX IP (the core ideas) are 100% 'free'
(open/libre) since AT&T published it opennling starting in the early 1970s.

I have a fairly long treastise on much of this in a paper I published last
fall at History of Unix symposium - Paris, France, October 19th 2017
http://technique-societe.cnam.fr/colloque-international-unix-en-france-et-aux-etats-unis-innovation-diffusion-et-appropriation--945215.kjsp
[note the web site is in french.  my paper is not, althought some of them
are].  Send me email off line if you want a copy of the PDF.

Been there, lived it, and have the tee shirts to prove it - at least ones
by wife has not thrown out as too ratty ;-)
Clem

ᐧ