[Simh] Simulating a GT40

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Sep 4 11:13:21 EDT 2018

below...

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 10:26 AM Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:

> Eventually Valid switched to Sun.

Makes sense...

> They started out with their own 68010 multibus hardware

which was licensed from Stanford - this is Andy Bechtolsheim masters
project design (originally 68000 then after some PALs were replace,
upgraded to 68010).   How Valid's version differed I do not know, but it
would have been very small.   That basic design, was very popular in the
valley.   A lot of vendors used it.  When Vinod formed VLSI technologies,
he got a license.  The rest is history as they say.

No doubt, it would not have made sense for Valid to keep making it
themselves

and switched to Sun based HW.

I can only say, the original Valid boxes we had at Masscomp (and DEC which
should have been identical as we ordered exactly the same thing at the
time); we definitely based on the Stanford design.   We had them appart in
the lab and looked at every aspect of them and they pretty much matched -
the drawings Andy used were freely available (IIRC they were in SUDS
originally) and many of us had them (I may still for all I know) [we also
analized the Imagen and Cisco AGS CPU boards whiich were all based on the
same original Stanford design].
ᐧ