[Simh] VAX Simulator 99.9% CPU , and flush nvram never finishes .

James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Wed May 23 22:02:44 EDT 2018

 	Hello Mark , ...

On Wed, 23 May 2018, Mark Pizzolato wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 4:20 PM, James W. Laferriere wrote:
>>  	Hello All ,  I am noticing a VERY High cpu with JUST simh running and it
>> does not reduce over time .  Any ideas ?  Hopefully everything needed is below
>> .
...snip...

> Hi James,
>
> Hmmm...
>
> First, please try the lastest GitHub code.
 	Done ...

> Second, I see you've built the simulator with video support, but you're not using any Video device in your configuration.  Additionally, I see that you're working with the older SDL version 1 video.  SDL version 1 was needed when video capabilities were first added to simh, but at this point libSDL Version 2 is available on essentially all interesting host platforms, so libSDL1 is deprecated and some changes coming in the near future will remove any attempt to support it.
> Try installing the libSDL Version 2 development package and rebuilding the simulator.
 	I have downloaded and compliled up SDL2-2.0.8 ,  Tho not installed it
for the above and below test .  But it will be soonest .

> Third, unless you're preparing to dig deeply under the covers, you probably want to run the optimized vs debug build of the simulator.
 	Done .  The High CPU usage is now gone .  Though the never returning to
command line prompt on 'exit' is still an issue .  I have to issue a ctrl-Z and
then 'kill -HUP %1' to have the process stop .  Also fmi is there a way to
get simh to flush output to the logfiles when it gets into such a state ?  Some
signal or tool ?

> Let us know where this takes you.
> - Mark

 		Tia ,  JimL