[Simh] Problem booting RSX11M on pdp11 (halt at loc 0)

Phil Fisher phil.fisher at peejayeff.co.uk
Sun Mar 25 14:52:57 EDT 2018

Further to recent communications on this topic (for which many thanks to those persons) and some thinking I have a potential/possible reason that I would like comments on.

My thinking goes that if in the virtualisation setup I have the "disk" is not responding quickly enough for the RL driver in SimH then maybe it will return a buffer of zeros.

Now even if I am on the right track for this, it leaves some questions (in no particular order):

a) others have reported being able to use SimH 4.0  under virtualisation with no issues although not with RSX11M.  So why would I be different?
b) I would have thought that the driver for RL especially as it is emulating hardware would not "timeout" so quickly.
c) If it did timeout, why have I not seen an error message?  Maybe I need to look somewhere else ... hmm.

And the obvious statement that I am completely wrong and it is something I have configured incorrectly either in the virtualisation environment (except it gives same error under both Virtual Box and VMware Workstation) or in SimH.

Phil