[Simh] VAX emulation issues on Raspberry Pi

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Tue Jul 31 14:18:04 EDT 2018

On 31-Jul-18 13:46, Paul Koning wrote:
> No, but thanks for that pointer. The paper I was thinking about is
> listed in the references:
> Xi Wang, Haogang Chen, Alvin Cheung, Zhihao Jia, Nickolai Zeldovich, and M. Frans Kaashoek. 2012a. Undefined behavior: What happened to my code? In Proceedings of the 3rd Asia-Pacific Workshop on Systems.
https://people.csail.mit.edu/nickolai/papers/wang-undef-2012-08-21.pdf

Seems to be a rehash of some well-known stuff - that was pretty well
known even in 2012.

In additions to -Wall, I also used to compile SimH with -pedantic and -Werror.  And usually one of the -std flags.

> Hm, -pedantic is specificially intended to be "the warnings that aren't really useful for general use and real code".
But I often found that if I tripped one, my mind was wandering and
something else was likely not quite right :-)
>> Another big potential gotcha in SimH is the heavy use of casts, and type aliasing rules (the latter especially problematic in subroutine calls).
> Yes, aliasing is a big problem area.  If you get any warnings about strict aliasing, fixing them (via unions) is a good idea.  Alternatively, fno-strict-aliasing can be used but that comes with a performance cost and is not the best answer.

I'm of the school that says "fix, don't disable".  Especially if you
want your code to work with more than one compiler.  But it can be
painful with legacy code.

I also recommend "C is not a low-level language
<https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=3212479>" in the July issue of
CACM.  It makes some useful points that apply here.