[Simh] VAX emulation issues on Raspberry Pi

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Mon Jul 30 21:05:14 EDT 2018

Don’t forget SIMH is emulating a lot more than just the CPU, it also has to emulate all the rest of the hardware that makes up a VAX.

My Raspberry Pi 2 clocks in at about 1.6 VUPS, my ESXI host is a i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (which is starved for RAM), SIMH/VAX on a VM running on it clocks in at about 34.6 VUPS.  I have a i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz and SIMH runs at about 31.6 VUPS.  If you have a top of the line, current i7, you might be able to get close to the speed of your VAXstation 4000/96.

I’ve been buying used HP SFF desktop boxes to use as servers, I pick them up used for almost nothing.  A few months ago, that i5 cost me $75, I think the i7 was less than $200.  Wiped the drive, put Linux on it, and now the SIMH/VAX instance on it provides most of the storage for my VMS Cluster.

Right now most of my VMS environment at home has been replaced by emulation.  Once I move PDXVAX off of a VAXstation 4000/60 (it’s my DECnet area router), I’ll be running a fully emulated environment.  Honestly it’s something of a relief.  Though I am considering looking into running one physical machine as a desktop, booting it into my cluster.

Instead of starting SIMH like this:
$ ./vax < vax.ini
Try:
$ ./vax vax.ini

All my VMS systems are using Telnet right now, as I don’t have any VMS system running a modern version of SSH.  I’ve also not managed to get DECwindows to work right with any X-Windows on my current systems (it works fine with my SGI O2).  This is one of the reasons I’m considering running a physical VMS system as a desktop.

You bring up a very good point on the licensing though.  I’m not sure what to suggest there. :-(

Zane