[Simh] DECwindows issues

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 16:52:44 EDT 2018

Hi Mark,

thanks for your reply!

> I wonder if this is related to the fact that DECwindows switches the
> > screen resolution of the qvss framebuffer.  When the system initially
> > starts, the black qvss windows only occupies part of the Xorg screen,
> > but when DECwindows starts, it expands the window to the full
> > resolution of the X display.
>
> I haven't seen that.  The QVSS device simulation specifically simulates
> the very basic QVSS framebuffer which is constantly at 1024x864 and
> since that is what the original QVSS was capable of interfacing with,
> there is no provision for dynamically changing those dimensions.

This was actually me not looking closely.  DECwindows puts the retro black
and white pattern onto the screen which perfectly blends with the -retro
background of Xorg, so the resolution has not changed at all, I just failed
to see that the QVSS window is smaller than the actual screen (and the
jumping mouse kind of concealed that further).

> During normal system operation with V4.4-0, the simulator sometimes
> >  halts with messages like "Invalid argument, PC: 806EEB6A (MOVL
> 4(SP),(SP))"
> > or "Invalid argument, PC: 00083C16 (BEQL 83C35)".  If I type "c" at the
> > "sim>" prompt, the system continues to run.  Unfortunately, I could not
> > figure out how to cause this issue.
>
> I can't yet either.  I don't see this with the current code, but the most
> recent commits (today) in the github/simh/simh master branch will produce
> more contextual error messages that should help tracking down the root
> cause.
> Please pick up the latest code and if you see messages like this again,
> let me
> know directly or create an issue at https://github.com/simh/simh/issues

Will do!

> > Running DECwindows on a remote X Server (Xorg or Xquartz) kind of works,
> > but for some reason, only some of the DEC fonts which I've extracted
> using
> > getbdf from the VMS X Server are listed in xlsfonts.  In particular, the
> menu
> > font that VAX LISP uses is missing.
>
> I can't speak to why your local X server might not interpret these fonts,
> but
> there may have been some DEC specific font format details which never made
> it back to Xorg.  Hopefully you won't need to deal with at all once you can
> use the QVSS to as a display with DEC's X server leveraging its local
> fonts.

I still hope to somehow get the DEC fonts into Xorg as I really like them
beautiful colors :)

Cheers,
Hans