[Simh] BLISS and C

Phil Budne phil at ultimate.com
Tue Jan 30 00:55:50 EST 2018

dave porter wrote:
> I recall reading something from Dennis Ritchie to the effect
> that if he'd been able to get hold of a BLISS compiler he
> wouldn't have bothered to invent C.

The quote the above reminded me of was:
https://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/712.fall02/papers/p761-thompson.pdf

Where Ken Thompson wrote (when he got the Turing prize):

      I suspect Daniel Bobrow would be here instead of me if he could
      not afford a PDP-10 and had to "settle" for a PDP-11.

The closest I've found Dennis' name to BLISS is:

http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/10/on-dennis-ritchie-a-conversati.html

	Kernighan told me that Ritchie was always conscious of the
	benefits of using minimal resources. Much of what he did was a
	reaction against the systems he was working with when creating
	Unix with Ken Thompson (a reaction to the Multics operating
	system) and C (a reaction to the PL/1 language that Multics
	was based on). EPL, Bliss, and especially BCPL were more
	positive influences on C. The things that made C successful
	not only inspired languages and systems that followed, but
	kept C a serious contender even after they were developed.