[Simh] 101 Basic Games for RSTS/E (was Re: PDP11 on Simh for public access)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Jan 26 11:33:21 EST 2018

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 7:23 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> On 2018-01-26 01:03, Tony Nicholson wrote:
>> Definitely BASIC-Plus on RSTS!  You may need to replace the “&” with “PRINT” in some of the files.
>
> Which should tell you that it's not for BASIC+ on RSTS/E. :-)
> Also, : for separating statements is, as far as I remember, also not in BASIC+, which instead uses \, just like BASIC+2.

Not true.  BASIC-PLUS, at least starting with RSTS V5 or thereabouts, *supports* BP2 syntax as an alternate option.  But it does not insist on it and it still supports the old syntax as well.  Here is RSTS V10.1:

list
BPTEST  11:30 AM        26-Jan-18
10 & "hi there" :
   & "line 2, with <LF> continuation"
20 end

Ready

run
BPTEST  11:30 AM        26-Jan-18
hi there
line 2, with <LF> continuation

Ready

For BP2, & as shorthand for PRINT is not allowed, : must be replaced by \, and continuation lines must be &<crlf> rather than <lf>.  If you do that, the file will still work with BASIC-PLUS in RSTS/E (but not on V4A).

	paul