[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 168, Issue 38

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Thu Jan 25 21:17:24 EST 2018

We ran into this on a real VAX when we added a 20GB SCSI disk, as I recall.  Either VAX/VMS or the hardware (I think it was VAX/VMS) only looks at the low-order 24 bits of the disk size.  So, our 20GB disk was viewed as a 3+GB drive on the VAX.  Alpha/VMS has no problem handling larger drives.  I think I've used 100GB drives on an Alpha.  I know I have a 72GB and a 50GB drive on our Alpha now.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov