[Simh] VAX Tape Emulation?

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Thu Jan 25 16:57:25 EST 2018

I think the documentation comment “cannot write variable-length blocks and do not allow skipping forward over records between read operations” was written when talking about the common cartridge tapes that were available on 80s and 90s Unix workstations.  I don’t recall the name.   These things only supported fixed block size operations and not variable record lengths (i.e. 80 byte tape labels, then different sized data records, etc.).  Given that the remote tape drive was a drive which could do variable length record activities, I think MultiNet’s rmt support actually worked well.  I don’t remember testing it though.  Whether someone should try to do that now to backup simulated VMS systems is another subject I may write about a little later.