[Simh] VAX Tape Emulation?

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Wed Jan 24 17:25:39 EST 2018

> On Jan 24, 2018, at 2:07 PM, Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 2:03 PM, Zane Healy wrote:
>> What type/size of tapes does the VAX emulation support?  I was looking
>> through the doc’s and it wasn’t obvious to me.  Is there a size limit?
>
> How big is your disk?  :-)
>
> Really, there is no actual limit on total tape size, since the data format is
> only concerned with tape records which are then processed sequentially.

And this is why I need to pay attention to when I ask questions.  So I can give all the details.

Here is the story.  I have two emulated VAXen, clustered with my Alpha.  My only physical tape drives are getting *old*, as are my tapes.  I’d like to backup to a simulated tape drive on the one emulated VAX.  The largest drive on my Alpha is 50GB.  I’d prefer not to have to span tapes. :-)

Zane