[Simh] VAX Tape Emulation?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Jan 24 17:17:19 EST 2018

> On Jan 24, 2018, at 5:07 PM, Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 2:03 PM, Zane Healy wrote:
>> What type/size of tapes does the VAX emulation support?  I was looking
>> through the doc’s and it wasn’t obvious to me.  Is there a size limit?
>
> How big is your disk?  :-)
>
> Really, there is no actual limit on total tape size, since the data format is
> only concerned with tape records which are then processed sequentially.

Then again, SIMH supports limiting the emulated tape size.  The SIMH VAX document shows that it uses this feature: the tape units can be set to a specific size limit, or 0 for unlimited.  The same is true for various other emulations; I see the PDP11 has the same sort of thing, and for example its TMSCP controller defaults to 98 MB (TK50 size).

	paul