[Simh] 101 Basic Games for RSTS/E (was Re: PDP11 on Simh for public access)

Tony Nicholson tony.nicholson at computer.org
Tue Jan 23 19:00:56 EST 2018

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:37 PM, Bryan Davies <bryan.e.davies at gmail.com>
wrote:

[snip]

I just need to get it all in a nice neat box, connect up he VT100, and
> download some games and things for the guests to use.

Bryan (and all).

I first encountered RSTS/E in 1975 on a PDP-11/45 when I was a student when
I discovered a book "101 Basic Computer Games" with an accompanying DECtape.

Recently I tracked down a copy of the book in PDF format and an image of
the DECtape (that had to be fixed-up so that it was readable) on bitsavers .

The book is at -

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/_Books/101_BASIC_Computer_Games_Mar75.pdf

I now have this running on RSTS/E V10.1 and RSTS V06C-03 under SIMH - after
some minor edits to fix changes to the Basic-Plus source file syntax
(spaces between keywords etc).

I've zipped-up the fixed DECtape image (DOS format) and an RL01 RSTS level
1.2 format disk image (label=GAMES) that you can copy the games from either
and run them!

The RL01 disk image is easiest (since DECtape support requires some
fiddling and correct pdp11 unibus 18-bit model selection).

In your SIMH .ini file (assuming you have sysgen'ed some RL type disks) you
can -
   set rl enable
   set rl0 rl01
   att rl0 rl01-games.dsk

Then once RSTS/E is up as a privileged user just "MOUNT DL0: GAMES" and
look in DL0:[100,100]

The zip file is
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IgZkafQABxWUXeuEkeq1GjkBe3sF2Zgx/view?usp=sharing

Tony