[Simh] SimH VAX cluster connect timeouts

paulhardy2 at btinternet.com paulhardy2 at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 26 16:36:04 EST 2018

There is nothing as good as having to describe a problem concisely, to ensure that one can solve it oneself! The clue was in my last comment, about the satellite not waiting long enough. So, after trying different values, I concluded that the SET XQ THROTTLE was a red herring and made little useful difference. However throttling the CPU back to say 30% made a reliable connection every time, and I then used EXPECT to trigger a reversion to full throttle once the boot process was past the boot drivers and into VMS proper.

; Set SIMH options
set cpu model=VAXstation
; avoid timeouts on PEDRIVER connecting, but see EXPECT below
set throttle 30%
;
; Boot the VAX, but set up an EXPECT to set full throttle later
expect "SYSINIT"
boot cpu
; break to here after EXPECT - no longer using boot drivers
set nothrottle
set cpu idle
continue
; end of EXPECT SYSINIT sequence