[Simh] DIY microfiche scanner?

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Mon Feb 26 14:24:30 EST 2018

On 2/26/18 1:08 AM, SPC wrote:
> Perhaps I could obtain one Canon Reader which came with some sort of printer/xerocopier.

You are better off finding a library with a fiche scanner.

Fiche printers are just a time sink.

Expect your processing rates to be a page per minute at best, which doesn't scale.

You'll spend a whole day fiddling around to scan one sheet of fiche.

This is where all the scanning projects in the past have failed. You need to think
how to process HUNDREDS of sheets of fiche, not just one.

About the only good news is almost all the listing fiche were COM (computer output to microform)
so the quality is consistent. Paper manuals that were copied to fiche are generally pretty
poor, especially any drawings. They also have inconsistent frame sizes, making them impossible to
scan on step and repeat scanners.