[Simh] On MOP

dave porter dave_list_addr at verizon.net
Sat Feb 24 09:16:44 EST 2018

Paul Koning> You can think of MOP as a simple data transfer
protocol; the fact that clients use it to load executable bits
into memory is not required.  The same is true for TFTP,
and there the name of the protocol makes the point explicit.
MOP doesn't say it quite so clearly but it is just as true there.

Timothy Litt> Yes, MOP is a data transfer protocol.
It's also more: "Maintenanceoperation" - we've talked
about the data transfer aspects, but it also
has built in the concepts of programs, loaders,
selective loads, providing time, loopback, redundant
servers via multicast, even a remote console service.

--
Something tells me Paul Koning needs no schooling on
the range of capabilities offered by MOP :-)