[Simh] MOP header specs?

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Wed Feb 21 11:20:17 EST 2018

For VAX/Alpha code from VMS, .sys would be an executable linked
/NOHEADER.  This would be a raw memory image; no ISDs or compression,
just bits.

In this case, it appears to be a SRM console image that was extracted
from an HP firmware update kit.

The header is used by the firmware update utility and by the SRM's show
version (IIRC).

There's no reason for this to be loaded via MOP, at least on real
hardware; SRM contains the MOP client.

FYI, when qemu was working on alpha emulation, they applied some patches
to that image - I have no clue what they do or why.  See
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2009-03/msg00693.html