[Simh] VMware "internal network" and VAX mop frames

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Wed Feb 21 09:08:00 EST 2018

I can't think of anything that would fail if the ROM address is the same
as the DECnet address (which is what you're setting up), but no real
hardware could ever have been configured that way.  (It is possible for
software to obtain both, though only one goes on the wire.  One set by
software overrides the ROM, which is globally unique.)

The VAX would not normally have a DECnet MAC address when doing a MOP
boot; the MAC address can't be determined until the SYSBOOT parameters
are read.

The normal flow would be that the interface announces its ROM MAC
address via MOP, and uses that address when sending LOAD requests.  The
MAC address is changed when the cluster or DECnet driver takes over.

I'm not a VMware user, so they may use different terminology than the
following.

So VMware would need to understand that a MAC address can be changed -
more recent OSs don't set the MAC address, so it could be confused.  I
wouldn't be surprised if it acted like a switch & tried to filter
"unneeded" packets.

You do need to make sure that VMware isn't modifying packets - that is,
you want a bridged configuration, not one where VMware is free to modify
packets (e.g. NAT).  And that VMware isn't setup to isolate VMs.
"Bridged", "shared LAN", same VLAN  - something like that is what you
want.

Also, DECnet uses several protocol types (a field in the ethernet
packet).  You will need to make sure that VMware is passing all of
them.  It, or some firewall, may block "unknown" protocol types.  DECnet
(+MOP+VAXcluster's SCS) may be forgotten or blocked. The basic DECnet
protocol types are in the range 60-00 through 60-09; 80-38 through 80-41
& -48 are used by LAT, DTSS & a few others.  Check the Windows firewalls.

Of course, if you run IP, you also need IP, IPv6, ARP, etc - but I
wouldn't expect VMware to have a problem with them.