[Simh] VMware "internal network" and VAX mop frames

Jean-Claude Parel jcparel at fr.ibm.com
Wed Feb 21 06:03:32 EST 2018

Hello, gerard

What is the MAC address of the VAX machine emulated by SIMH ? Is it
different from the MAC address of the VMware VM interface used by SIMH ?

Cordialement/Regards

Jean-Claude Parel
 21, Chemin De La Sauvegarde

OpenVMS Architect
 Ecully, 69132
458601
 France
Global Business Services

Phone:
+33-4-7218-4095

Home:
+33-4-7558-3550

Mobile:
+33-6.7171.0434

e-mail:
jcparel at fr.ibm.com

From:   "gérard Calliet" <gerard.calliet at pia-sofer.fr>
To:     "simh at trailing-edge.com" <simh at trailing-edge.com>
Date:   21/02/2018 10:58
Subject:        [Simh] VMware "internal network" and VAX mop frames
Sent by:        "Simh" <simh-bounces at trailing-edge.com>

Hello,

It's not specifically a simh question, but I hope someone had experience
about the issue.

I have a VAX VMS on a SIMH on a Windows VMware instance which uses a
dedicated NIC for simh.

I have an OpenVMS on an AlphaVM emulator on another Windows VMware
instance (on the same VMware server) which uses another dedicated NIC
for the emulator.

(The dedicated NIC have no associated protocol (for example ip) ).

I try a network boot from vax vms simh, which could be served by the
emulated OpenVMS alpha emulated. I can see the mop broadcasted frames on
the wire, outside on the VMware server, but they don't arrive at the NIC
at the host instance of the alpha emulation.

I think something is filtered out inside the VMware server between its
instances. I don't know more.

Thanks,

Gérard Calliet

---
logiciel antivirus Avast.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.avast.com_antivirus&d=DwIGaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=2AoVEMvcRW1lMiTIMmGiShO4dQKZolvsh1Oz2GpyULA&m=XJN-harnIlfiy6Nm-UhdbwliUFRRucDv2U-bzwbCYRQ&s=nz4R8EpTNJBF6xyv0wErluHvMAyk_Q0r9mG5k-b5P7o&e=