[Simh] Installing SDL2 on Mac To Build SIMH

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Fri Feb 16 15:50:06 EST 2018

On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 12:23 PM, Rob Jarratt wrote:
> I don't have a Mac but I need someone to be able to build SIMH on
> his Mac and be able to link SDL2. I have looked at this page: https://www.libsdl.org/download-2.0.php
>
> I don't understand if you need runtime or dev libraries, I have tried
> opening both dmg files with 7Zip and I can't find anything in either
> that looks like a libsdl2.a file. What am I looking for and where would
> I put the file to be able to link it? Compile already works.

Rob,

The normal simh makefile knows how to find the necessary SDL pieces on all *nix platforms (including MacOS X).  Building a simulator that could use the functionality provided by libSDL produces messages at build time advising if all of the potentially useful features aren't available and how to get the useful pieces on the platform the build is running on.  All your simulator needs to do is follow the pattern used by other simulators.  If, libSDL isn't being used directly by the simulator proper and only your frontpanel application, then the makefile structure would be is similar just for the frontpanel build target.  Show me what you're trying and I'll make some suggestions.

-	Mark