[Simh] EXT :Re: DEC Alpha Emulation

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Feb 5 12:01:24 EST 2018

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 7:28 PM, Zane Healy <healyzh at avanthar.com> wrote:

>  I had found a nearly new PWS 433a in a used computer shop, that didn’t
> know what it was worth

​Likely to have been one of the NT/Alpha's in the wild.   It was a dirty
little secret in ZKO and MRO that they worked fine with Tru64 and OpenVMS.
 ​Purely a co​st issue.   It was cheaper and faster to get the NT/Alpha HW
- so they became a popular internal development systems for support for the
Adaptec chipset (who's number I now forget).   But marketing never accepted
because of the failover issue for clusters.

I never understood that.  My argument was that nobody was going to put a
$1M cluster at risk with a $100 PCI card.   We could have just stated in
the SPD that the Adaptec chip set was supported on single (small) systems
such as Workstations, DS10, DS20 etc...  But I lost that war.
ᐧ