[Simh] Crowther's Adventure game

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 09:06:19 EST 2018

I think adding the 1X to the FORMAT is the right thing to do long term.

The DEC TYPE-as-a-synonym-for-PRINT-but-with-different-FORMAT-usage
extension will not be familiar to the vast majority of Fortran programmers
even if they used it decades ago. I used it a LOT back in the 80's and just
barely remember it today.

Keep in mind that back in the old days, that in addition to the various
filesystem options saying whether a file was Format carriage control or
not, that there was also the ability for FORMAT statements to be
dynamically changed on the fly by a READ. So while the source code might
not have the 1X in front of it, that run-time the print FORMAT could have
been modified by a previous READ statement. I did Fortran for decades and
have only ever seen this used a few times in the real world. Possibly the
compilers and RTL's back then offered varying support even in their heyday.

Tim.