[Simh] Crowther's Adventure game

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Feb 2 10:36:13 EST 2018

> On Feb 2, 2018, at 10:19 AM, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons <jg at jordi.guillaumes.name> wrote:
>

>> Also, given the FORMAT(/), I’ll also hazard a guess that TYPE did not automatically add a new line on whatever was printed. But that is just a guess.
>>
> I don’t think the slash is one of the ASA control characters

It's not.  Tim said it -- it indicates end of record.  A FORMAT statement gives the layout for one or more records.  The fields separated by commas specify the consecutive parts of a single record; each / is a record boundary.  Also, the end of the FORMAT corresponds to the end of record.  In the DEC implementation, for terminals, trailing $ meant "do not end the record", i.e., don't insert newline at this point.  That was used for prompt strings in interactive applications written in FORTRAN.

So for example:

	WRITE(5,10)
10	FORMAT (' Hello'//' there')

would produce (without the indent)

	Hello

	there

(with a blank line between the two text lines, corresponding to the first / in the format).  Note that each record begins with carriage control; the leading space in each of those two strings is the "single space" carriage control character.

	paul