[Simh] Crowther's Adventure game

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Feb 2 09:46:20 EST 2018

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 9:12 AM, Ken Cornetet <
Ken.Cornetet at kimballelectronics.com> wrote:

> I have vague recollections that FORMAT(/) prints a new line

​Sounds right - I'm O-O-O, but I​'ll try to verify with the compiler folks
when I'm on the office again.

> Format(20A5) takes 20 elements of an array and prints them as character
> stings padded to a width of 5 characters.

​Right..   -- mAw - means M elements of an input data type (typically
Integer) as type Alphabet with a width of w.​

> "TYPE" is not standard fortran. That must have been a DEC extension.
> Standard fortran would have used "write".

​Yes, TYPE was introduced by DEC with PDP-10 Fortran​ to allowed for easier
terminal I/O on timesharing (original Fortran was designed for batch i.e.
LPT, or tape style out).  I believe it was picked up on the standard with
F90 - but again I'll have to ask the Fortran compiler folks.   An example
of the difference between TYPE and traditional WRITE indeed are things like
Fortran Lineprinter control, but I've forgotten the details.

ᐧ