[Simh] Quest from 1979 on RSTS/E V06C-03 in Simh (Brett Bump)

Robert G. Schaffrath robert at schaffrath.net
Sat Dec 29 15:29:16 EST 2018

 > Or you could grab the pre-genned V6C kit from:

http://www.rsts.org/autoindex.php?dir=distros/RSTS_kits/&file=RSTS_V6C_Kit.zip

I tried booting that, and it does boot, but the startup does not run. No
system initialization is performed and I login as job 1 with no CCL's
defined. The version at https://skn.noip.me/pdp11/rk2.dsk does boot and
has all commands installed.

Looking at both environments there are two things I noticed as different
from the V06C-03 I was using in high school back in 1978. On our system
we had control-T available that was enabled and disabled along with
control-R. What was interesting was that it would show the job priority
for non-privileged users. Priority display was removed in 7.0 for
non-privileged users. We hackers discovered that on a slow running
system, one could repeatedly hit control-C during login and abort the
change from logged out priority +0 to priority -8 by LOGIN (control-T
let us see that we were still at +0). That gave our teacher and the
county data center where we rented access to the PDP-11/70 system fits.
Eventually they wrote a "guard" program that would drop the priority of
any non-privileged job found to be greater -8. The problem with that
check was that some jobs legitimately got bumped to -4 priority
temporarily due to the set-special-run-priority syscall. The "guard" did
not recognize that and pushed jobs back down to -8.

The other difference I noticed is that SYSTAT in privileged mode does
not show the runburst. In privileged mode, SYSTAT had a "Pri/RB" column
whereas this V06C-03 only has "Priority". That was documented in the
RSTS/E manual I had bought from DEC.

I have to wonder if we were running a version of V06C-03 with those
additional enhancements. It definitely was not 7.0. I graduated in June
1980 and I was told they upgraded to 7.0 that summer.