[Simh] Systems Engineering Labs (SEL) simh simulator available

J Bevier azbevier at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 23:33:59 EST 2018

Hello all,

After about 8 months of work, I am making available a simulator for the SEL Concept/32 computers.  Support is provided for 32/27, 32/67, 32/87, and 32/97 computers.  This initial release uses a test version of the MPX 1.5F operating system.  Source is provided for all processors except assemble, Fortran, and sysgen.  I was unable to find source for these programs.  Maybe someone can find it somewhere.  Also, I do not have an installation SDT tape for MPX 3.X.  Again I am unable to find one.  Any and all help would be appreciated in finding these releases.  There are still some power plants and simulator applications that still use MPX today.   Maybe someone knows one that I could contact for the software.

A bootable disk and a an installation SDT tape are provided.  Make sure you see the manuals on bit savers for the 1.x release of MPX.  There are still bugs, and some features that do not work 100%, but this is a real start and maybe some of the forum people can provide some debugging help.  All features seem to work including the capability to generate new systems via sysgen.  The Fortran is Fort77.  SEL uses excess 64 floating point arithmetic, so there is a full set of instructions to manipulate these floating point numbers.

The taptools directory included in the project allows creating .tap files from ‘real’ tapes or extracting files from .tap formatted tapes.  Also construction of MPX filemgr save/restore .tap tapes.  Other utilities convert from MPX file format to/from Linux file formats.  Some of these might also be usable in other simulator applications.

The next release will include C programming support and associated runtime libraries.  Also an additional set of cross tools that work on Linux and MPX.  And, if I can find MPX 3.x SDT tapes, it will also support MPX 3.x.

Find it here www.github.com/AZBevier/sims.  Look at the SEL32 entry.

Jim Bevier