[Simh] Transferring the licence file to the VAX emulator

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Tue Dec 18 19:40:45 EST 2018

Brian,

It is much simpler to use the /UNDEFINED_FAT option in the MOUNT /MEDIA_FORMAT=CDROM command.  That is what it does for you.  As Johnny said, the problem is not the bytes in your file, but the mismatched file attributes that describe the bytes in your file that is the problem.  Your CD-ROM does not contain enough metadata to describe the files contents.  (File systems have metadata; that doesn't seem to bother anyone.  Why files have abandoned metadata and forced programmers and users to deduce file formats from magic numbers encoded at the front of a file or arbitrary file naming conventions is beyond me.)

Here's the HELP screen output from OpenVMS/Alpha 7.2-1:

> BAKER SAMOA> help mount /undefined_fat
>

> MOUNT
>
>   /UNDEFINED_FAT
>
>        Establishes default file attributes to be used for records on ISO
>        9660 media for which no record format has been specified.
>
>        Format
>
>          /UNDEFINED_FAT=record-format:[record-attributes:][record-size]
>

>     Additional information available:
>
>     Parameters Description           Example
>
> MOUNT /UNDEFINED_FAT Subtopic? example
>

> MOUNT
>
>   /UNDEFINED_FAT
>
>     Example
>

>        $ MOUNT/MEDIA_FORMAT=CDROM/UNDEFINED_
>       FAT=(FIXED:CR:80) DBA1: OFFENS STRAT
>
>            In this example, the volume labeled OFFENS is mounted on DBA1
>            and all files on the volume are defined to be fixed length,
>            carriage return, and 80 bytes in length. MOUNT also assigns the
>            logical name STRAT.

The one caveat is that the FAT attributes apply to every file on the CD-ROM, so you have to remount it to transfer different kinds of files, e.g., text files, object files, executables.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov