[Simh] Transferring the licence file to the VAX emulator

Phil Budne phil at ultimate.com
Mon Dec 17 15:34:10 EST 2018

I wasn't saying RMS was anything new to the world in general, but that
VMS was the first system to make it the preferred way to access disks.
DEC was not always thus.

I'm pretty sure my first exposure to RSX-11M was using F11ACP, I don't
think RSX was BORN with RMS as the primary method of file access, it
was born as a real-time system.

Clem wrote:
> As Dennis Ritchie once said to me, the whole idea behind a byte stream was
> for the OS to just get the bits and then user code do the interpretation

This was pretty much the norm at DEC before RMS.  Disk blocks contained
streams of bytes.  Legend is the original name of PIP was ATLATL
(anything lord to anything lord).

As has been pointed out, IBM access methods were (often) implemented
as "channel programs", and some history of DEC pointed out that Ken et
al were aware that PDP-1 was closer in complexity and cost to the
small "channel" computers IBM was using at the time than to the actual
IBM computer.