[Simh] Transferring the licence file to the VAX emulator

David Coolbear david at thecoolbears.org
Mon Dec 17 11:08:03 EST 2018

> I really don't want to have to enter all the licence data
> interactively, or fix a couple of thousand line endings in the editor!
> There must be SOME way of getting the file onto a new setup?
>
> Thanks for any assistance,
>
> Brian.

As others have indicated, you need to install the licenses for UCX
manually. I think that you might need to also install the VAX license but
I'm not sure. Once that's there, you can use FTP to transfer the license
file to the VAX as a text file. I wonder if you could just munge the date
on the SIMH host machine so that the license is still valid. Either way,
once you have the text file in the VAX, you need to fix the line ends. To
do that, I use the VMS editor, EDIT LICENSE.TXT as follows:

Prompt                   Keystroke(s)     Explanation

    none                 F12              Enter command mode

    Command:             REPLACE<CR>     Enter the REPLACE command

    Old String:          <CTRL V>         Used to enter control characters

    Press the key to be added:

                         <CR>             Enter CR as data

                         <CR>             Terminate the old string

    New String:          <CR>             Terminate the new string

    Replace? Type Yes, No, All, Last, or Quit:

                         A<CR>            Replace all instances

                         <CTRL Z> Write new file and exit

Now, rename the .TXT file to .COM and then do @filespec.com to execute it.