[Simh] Transferring the licence file to the VAX emulator

Brian b_lists at patandbrian.org
Mon Dec 17 08:28:55 EST 2018

Hi all,

Please bear with me for what I'm sure is a beginner question, but it
has me beat. :(

I've set up SIMH, built it all, got my kits for OpenVMS and have
installed the system. So far, so good.

The problem I'm having is in getting the licence file I received under
the Hobbyist scheme onto the VAX. I had thought that 'burning' it into
an ISO on my Linux box and then mounting that image would work. It
does, but not completely.

According to the e-mail, the licence file is in the form of a VMS
command file. On my Linux box, this looks just fine. However,
irrespective of whether I use Linux or Windows line endings, when I
transfer the file onto the VAX as above, all the lines run together
and the file format is trashed. If I edit the file on the VAX, I can
see the LF or CR/LF characters in the editor, just as they should be.

Maybe I've forgotten more about the VAX than I think. WHAT does it
expect to see as a line terminator? If I know, then I can fix the file
on my Linux box and transfer it over again, but if neither Linux nor
Windows line endings work, I've no idea what I need to try. Or am I
missing something, and there's some fundamental flaw with the whole
idea of transferring text files via an ISO image?

I really don't want to have to enter all the licence data
interactively, or fix a couple of thousand line endings in the editor!
There must be SOME way of getting the file onto a new setup?

Thanks for any assistance,

Brian.