[Simh] Trying to install openvms 7.3 over a Beta install of openvms k7.2

Jeremy Begg jeremy at vsm.com.au
Mon Aug 6 18:56:55 EDT 2018

Hi James,

> 	Hello All ,  Some many years ago I was involved with the Beta testing of
>OpenVMS 7.2 called K7.2 .  VMSInstal does not recognize the K in the version
>number and stops the upgrade with version NOT acceptable message .
>
> 	What I geuess I'd like to do is LIE to the VMSInstal procedure by
>removing the K from the reported version report .
>
> 	Anyone ever had a chance to do this ?

No, but it shouldn't be too difficult with a modest amount of editing ...

> 	I Very vaugely remember a document that came with the Field Test kit
>that gave me a hint that it was possible to "Upgrade" from the K7.2 to the
>production version of 7.2 after the field testing was completed .
> 	And of course that document is either extrememly buried or gone .

If I recall correctly, to do a VMS upgrade on VAX you put the VMS kit
savesets somewhere easily found (e.g. top level directory of the VMS system
disk) then run

   $ @SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL VMS073 DUA0:[000000]

(assuming your kit savesets are VMS073.A, VMS073.B, etc and DUA0:[000000] is
where you put them).

It's possible to tell VMSINSTAL to pause the installation so that you can
make changes to the kit:

   $ @SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL VMS073 DUA0:[000000] OPTIONS RSP=A

This will tell VMSINSTAL to unpack the .A saveset and then it wait at a
prompt.  Login from another terminal and edit the KITINSTAL.COM procedure
which you will find in a newly-created subdirectory of SYS$UPDATE.

Somewhere in KITINSTAL.COM it will define the VMS version it is willing to
ugprade from.

Regards,

	Jeremy Begg