[Simh] PDP-11 MARK

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Aug 1 21:06:47 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-02 02:26, dave porter wrote:
> Not really a simh question, but this might be an appropriate
> bunch of people.  What actually used MARK on PDP-11?
>
> I think I recall that some Fortran system (F4P?) used it,
> but that's a vague feeling at most.
>
> Certainly as a Macro-11 kernel-mode weenie, I never
> felt the need.

As far as I know, nothing used MARK.
It's ugly in that it requires that I-space and D-space overlap, at least
for the stack, for it to work.
I once heard a rumor that DEC only came up with it to extend some
copyright or patent a few more years, but I'm not sure there is much
truth in that.
Anyway, it was an attempt at having a return mechanism for routines that
cleaned up the stack, in a time where you did not have a frame pointer.

   Johnny