[Simh] VAX 8600: Can't boot Quasijarus (tape or disk)

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Fri Sep 22 19:35:57 EDT 2017

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Bob Eager wrote:
> Oh, hang on. 'boot tq0' is surely not correct. You do 'boot cpu' and then
> specify the boot device in a console command.

Actually, neither "boot cpu" , nor "boot tq0" are meaningful commands
with the VAX8600 simulator.  There were no "naturally" or "DEC supported"
bootable tape devices on the original VAX 8600 system and therefore there
is no simulation of things which never worked.  In theory, someone could
write a tape boot program and it could be loaded into the CPU memory and
started execution, but I don’t know of any such program.

If you followed instructions regarding how Quasijarus was originally installed
on a VAX 8600, then it should work the same as it did on the original hardware.
I suspect that by the time Quasijarus was put together, the MicroVAX systems
were prime targets for system installs, and no or very little effort was put into
getting this stuff to work on the older VAX systems.

Good luck.

- Mark