[Simh] VMS 1.5 installable?

Peter Allan petermallan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 07:30:24 EDT 2017

Encouraged by all of the posting about running VMS 1.5 on an emulated VAX
780 with simh, I have tried to do the same. However, I am having a problem.

I don't have an existing VMS 3.x system running (4.6 is my earliest), so I
tried to do a VMS 3.0 installation using the tape from uni-stuttgart which
I had downloaded some time ago.

I booted a VMS 4.6 system on an emulated 780 and did an image restore using
BACKUP of the REQUIRED saveset on the VMS 3.0 installation tape to an RP06.
So far, so good. Then I booted the newly created RP06 disk, which continued
the installation process by attempting to restore the LIBRARY saveset on
the VMS 3.0 tape. However, this crashed with too many CRC errors.

This is where I am stuck. I could download the tape from uni-stuttgart
again, but is there any reason to expect a better result by doing this? Can
someone who has got this to work advise me what to try next please. I have
downloaded the files that Christian posted, but while that has standalone
backup on a disk image, I need DSC to read the VMS 1.5 tape (don't I?)
which is the only reason that I was trying to get VMS 3.0 working in the
first place.

Cheers

Peter Allan