[Simh] 5 Questions (3 Questions Sire) About RSTS/E and Command Line.

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Oct 6 15:41:55 EDT 2017

> On Oct 6, 2017, at 3:29 PM, Brett Bump <bbump at rsts.org> wrote:
>

> This is mostly for Tim and Paul, but I figured to cross-post in case any
> one might have seen this before (before I lob thy Holy Hand Grenade).
>
> 1.  In cleaning up some of my old paperwork, I stumbled across a fanfold
> .   paper copy of "RSTS/E System Programmer's Notebook" page 3 (no 1-2)
> .   followed by Chapters 1-5 and Appendix A, B pages 1-5.  The bottom of
> .   the Preface reads:
> .
> .   "What follows is a sermon, it is not a Gospel."
> .
> .   A section on the first page of Appendix A has a paragraph that says:
> .
> .   CAUTION
> .   The PPEK sequences described in this     (sic. I presume PEEK)
> .   document are not a part of the supported
> .   functionality of RSTS/E V6C as described
> .   in the RSTS/E Software Product Description.
> .
> Has anyone seen/read this before, know who wrote it, have a digital copy
> that could be distributed out, or am I destined to type it back in so all
> can read (it is good material on old yellowed crackly fanfold paper)???

That doesn't ring bells, and I don't seem to have that document in my files.  I was part of RSTS/E development at that time, so if it came from there I might have seen it but let it slip my memory.

Could you scan a few pages, perhaps the first few and a couple of pages of that appendix, so I can see more of the context?  Just a simple photograph is probably good enough if you don't have a scanner.

Typing it all in is hard work (I've done it for un-OCR-able listings, 300 pages).  If the listing is clean, a scan plus OCR will cut the effort very considerably.  Or just a scan, since scans are perfectly readable for humans.  OCR is only necessary if it's code that you want to be able to compile/assemble or other kinds of data that need to be processed by some program.  Not too long ago I sent an old listing of "BTSS" (RSTS v0) to another person on this list, who scanned it very skillfully.  In other words, those capabilities are around.

> 2.  I lost a very good friend (coworker) this week to MI (he was 66).   ...

I'm sorry to hear that.  I don't have answers on your other two questions.

	paul