[Simh] Any chance of AXP for SIMH ?

Gordon Miller gordonamiller60 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 00:07:34 EST 2017

Hi guys

I'm the new kid here, despite my grey hair.

Anyway, what I'm quite interested in, is any kind of Alpha AXP support
for SIMH.
And also while we are at it, what about some kind of fancy JIT code
generation ...

I have a SIMH running OpenVMS VAX 7.3 which is stable enough, and keeps
the right time, and doesn't eat much CPU, and you can attach and detach
drives and newly created CDs and all sorts of goodness. But it is a tad
slow.

I also have a few old and creaky freeware/demo/foundware AXP emulators
for running OpenVMS Alpha 8.4. They are nowhere near as good in features
as SIMH, but they run quite a bit faster.

I realise this is not trivial, or it would be done by now. And there may
be copyright/patent/whatever issues too.

Obviously I want to square the circle and have lots of nice features,
and have speed, and last but not least, all that for free ... :)

Thanks for your prompt consideration