[Simh] Raspberry Pi 3 with tun/tap causes XQ to fail

Wilm Boerhout wboerhout at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 09:38:50 EST 2017

paulhardy2 at btinternet.com schreef op 13-11-2017 om 15:33:

> A couple of points:
>
> 1) The ?53 self test error might be a red herring – I intermittently
> get ?53 2 errors on both Windows (Intel) and Raspbian (pi 3) when
> starting the VAX emulation under SIMH. I think it is something to do
> with the clock test failing, because the emulation is sufficiently
> fast that the test that the clock is advancing fails because it hasn’t
> yet ticked during the test. Despite the message saying normal
> operation not possible, if you try and boot VMS, it works fine.
>
> 2) I successfully boot my raspberry pi into my VMScluster (boot node
> is SimH on Windows) without any faffing with tun/tap/br. I just ATTACH
> XQ ETH0, and my Simh satellite happily boots from  XQ. I realise that
> I might need more infrastructure if I needed local routing from VAX to
> host (without echo from a physical ethernet switch), but for normal
> VMS operation in a cluster, it works fine without.
>
> Regards,

[snip]

 1. Yes I have observerd that as well.

 2. Indeed. The bridge/tun/tap is only needed when you want to use a
    single physical interface on the Pi to accomodate both access to the
    virtual simh VAX and to the Raspbian host.For example, using my
    setup, I can telnet into the VAXcluster and ssh into the Raspbian OS
    rom my Windows laptop (and any other Pi in the 4 node VAXcluster)
    simulateously.

/Wilm