[Simh] off topic, but many of you might find this interesting

Ken Cornetet Ken.Cornetet at kimballelectronics.com
Thu Nov 9 11:01:44 EST 2017

Seeing people on the list wax nostalgic over unixes (unixen? Unixi?)  long past got me to thinking about my first home unix: Microport system 5/AT. It was fairly impressive for the day - real, honest to God system 5 release 2 unix that would run on a PC/AT (80286) machine. I ran this at home from sometime in the late 80s until I bought a Slackware linux CD sometime in the early 90s. Uucp email, anyone?

I did some research on Microport System5/AT and saw where a few people had attempted to get it running under various emulation platforms with no complete success until one of the developers of VirtualBox got involved and added support for it into VirtualBox. I found another user who had managed to get it running in VirtualBox by manually specifying disk geometry into System V/AT's fdisk, but it wasn't entirely clear what he'd done.

Having luckily had the foresight to create image files of my install disks all those years ago, I managed to get it up and running. Unfortunately, one of my floppy images was corrupt, but fortunately it was the text processing options, which isn't all that interesting.

So anyway, if any of you unix archeologists are interested in Microport System V/AT, let me know and I'll get you the install floppy images and details of how to configure the disk geometry.