[Simh] DEC Net for DOS and the product on an emulated PDP-11 OS

Jordi Guillaumes Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Wed Nov 8 04:21:22 EST 2017

> VMWare Player is available for free, and will allow you to create
> virtual machines without a problem. It's basically the same as
> Workstation without the problems of an evaluation period ending and
> catching you or the user out. Of course trying to get it to properly
> engage on the laptop when running Linux, is a trip to be certain.
>
> Of course I can't go ahead with this idea until I get more feedback
> from the rest of the group.
> ——

Hello,

This is a Windows 98 virtual machine running under VMWare Fusion:

c:\>ver

4DOS 8,00   (Win98) DOS 7,10

c:\>ncp loop node bitxor

LOOP NODE test started at Wed Nov 08 10:14:40 2017

  Connect complete to node  BITXOR
  Remote node maximum buffer size for loopback:   184

  Send 1, 46 bytes.
  Successful send and receive, message  1.

LOOP NODE test finished successfully at Wed Nov 08 10:14:41 2017

c:\>

It’s not strictly DECNET-DOS; it’s PATHWORKS-32, which includes the DECNET stack. I’ve not been able to try the old, “pure” DECNET-DOS because the supported LAN cards (DEPCA et all) are not emulated in any VM software I know. But this setup works OK:

c:\>nft
           NFT - Network File Transfer - V6.0.004
NFT>dir bitxor::

Directory of: bitxor::DU1:[DECNET]
INFO.TXT;1                  4  22-NOV-12 12:15:25
INFO.TXT;9                  8  29-DEC-12 01:25:14
INFO.TXT;10                 9  14-MAR-13 13:05:37

Let’s try a remote FAL access:

[BITXOW]$ dir 7.98::

Directory 7.98::C:[PW32]

API.CNT             API.HLP             ASLAPI.DLL          ASLCZ.DLL
ASLDE.DLL           ASLFR.DLL           ASLPASS.EXE         ASLUS.DLL
CHARSETS.DAT        CSM32.DLL           CSM_W3.DLL          DAP32.DLL
DECIC16.DLL         DECITOT.CNT         DECITOT.DAT         DECITOT.HLP
DECITOT.TPL         DECLOG.CNT          DECLOG.EXE          DECLOG.HLP
DECTAL.DLL          DECTNET.DLL         DEINST.EXE          DEINSTAL.DAT
DEINSTAL.TXT        FAL32.EXE           INDEXFIX.HLP        MANDEC.CNT
MANDEC.HLP          NCP.EXE             NCPHELP.BIN         NCPTAB.BIN
NFTW.CNT            NFTW.HLP            NFTW32.EXE          NMAPI32.DLL
NML32.EXE           NM_MSG.BIN          PW32.CNT            PW32.HLP
PWASSTCZ.CNT        PWASSTCZ.HLP        PWASSTDE.CNT        PWASSTDE.HLP
PWASSTFR.CNT        PWASSTFR.HLP        PWASSTUS.CNT        PWASSTUS.GID
PWASSTUS.HLP        PWCTERM.DLL         PWENT.DAT           PWINACC.DAT
PWLICLM.CNT         PWLICLM.HLP         PWMSG.CNT           PWMSG.HLP
PWNODE.DAT          PWOBJ.DAT           PWREADME.TXT        PWS2DNST.EXE
PWS2INST.EXE        PWSOCK32.DLL        PWTELNT.DLL         SPAWN32.EXE
UPGRADE.INI         WHATSNEW.CNT        WHATSNEW.HLP        WHATSNEW.TXT
nft.exe

Total of 69 files.
[BITXOW]$