[Simh] OpenBSD on Simh VAX 3.8-1 - Segmentation fault

Gary Lee Phillips tivo.overo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 08:28:31 EST 2017

I am running VAX 3.8-1 on a 64-bit Linux system. It performs well with
OpenVMS as the operating system. But when I try to run it with OpenBSD 5.7
there are issues.

The base system installs and boots correctly. But in order to bring in
tools such as language compilers or editors, it is necessary to use ftp or
sftp. I cannot get these to transfer anything because the moment a transfer
starts, no matter which mode or direction or whether the transfer is
initiated from within OpenBSD or from the outside, an immediate
segmentation fault occurs. This appears to be within the SimH code itself,
and not on OpenBSD.

The same SimH VAX environment running OpenVMS 7.3 can perform transfers
over ethernet without any apparent issues.

I have tried running SimH in supervisor mode or in user mode, same results.
Also same results whether the transfer is initiated by root or by a normal
user account.

The ethernet connection itself seems to be working. Telnet connections
function normally, and ftp or sftp will pass directory information and
accept commands, but file transfers fail.

I guess I could try another version of OpenBSD. Upgrading SimH is also
possible but a bit more daunting since 3.8 is what is offered as current on
my Linux distro. (Linux Mint 18 "Sarah" 64 bit generic 4.4.0-97)

Anyone using OpenBSD 5.7 successfully?