[Simh] Networking help with 4.3 BSD Quasijarus running on SimH microvax

Henry Bent henry.r.bent at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 21:13:16 EDT 2017

On 4 November 2017 at 20:50, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

> On 2017-11-05 01:41, Henry Bent wrote:
>
>> On 4 November 2017 at 20:23, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se <mailto:
>> bqt at softjar.se>> wrote:
>>
>>     Beyond that, it just looks like your name resolution is totally
>>     failing. Can you ping some known address without involving dns or
>>     any sort of name translation? Try something like ping -n 8.8.8.8 and
>>     report the result (the -n is important here).
>>

>> That isn't going to work, Quasijarus doesn't have ping -n.  Just -d, -r,
>> and -v.  I guess I should really just install Quasijarus myself so that I
>> have a better troubleshooting platform, I've been looking for an excuse to
>> do that for a little while anyway.
>>

> (I honestly fail to understand why anyone would ever want to deal with
> Quasijaurus... And I haven't seen anything from Solokov in about 15 years
> or so now, is he still working on it?)

Agreed, I've never had the desire to do anything with it, just to install
it and have a look around.  As far as I know there has been no substantial
work done on Quasijarus in the time frame you mention.  I'm not sure why
people gravitate to Quasijarus as opposed to, say, a 1.x release of NetBSD
if they want a fairly lightweight BSD experience on a simulated 3900.

> Anyway, how backward can Quasijaurus become? If ping don't have a -n
> option, there must surely be some other switch which does the equivalent of
> just printing ip addresses without doing any translation?

Quasijarus was based on 4.3-Tahoe (which didn't have ping -n, or -c, or any
number of other useful options) because, if I remember correctly, Michael
Sokolov thought that POSIX was some sort of evil plot foisted upon the
world so he didn't take anything from 4.3-Reno.

-Henry